Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Name is Peggy and I'm a Pond Addict

 

I am Peggy Ferguson and I am a pond professional.  Some people would call me a fanatic. Some would say that I'm an addict.  The truth is I'm a pond enthusiast who went into business to support the habit.
 
I've spent the better part of 20 years educating folks about koi ponds and water gardens through my website, www.ponddoc.com, and my publication, "What's Up, Doc?".  I hope I've helped a few people along the way with the design, construction and care of their garden ponds.  Of course, it wasn't always just me.  I was the writer of the family so it was up to me to get the word out for the original "Pond Doc" who was Cecil Ferguson, my late husband.  He's gone now but his legacy lives on!  He taught me everything I know about ponds and koi health and I'm still plugging away at it.
 
Many of you may remember us from our water garden center in Alpharetta, Georgia.  We closed it down when we moved to the beautiful North Georgia mountain town of Dahlonega.  We began mail order only from our home and, up until recently, that's what we've been up to.
 
Ya'll might remember that Cecil smoked like a chimney.  He used to sneak around and smoke at the store all the time, hiding it from me, and some of you even promised to keep his secret.  Sure enough, he ended up with lung cancer and died.  You wouldn't believe how often I find a new stash of cigarettes hidden away at the house.  I won't get on my soap box right now about the dangers of smoking but let his death be a warning and I'll leave it at that.   
 
Several people have asked me, "Peg, why don't you do a blog?"  Truth is I've had a run of bad luck with all my kin and loved ones dying and hadn't felt much like writing.  It started with Cecil's death on January 26th, 2011 at 7:35 am and I hope it's over now.  During the past years I've lost my mom, my brother, two uncles, an aunt and my dog, Duke.  Ask me which one affected me the most and I'm liable to say Duke cause he's the one that broke the camel's back.  I've been slightly depressed, as you probably suspect, but now I've got my mojo back and ready to start anew!  I have my new business partner, Nancy Meehan, to thank for that.  She goaded me into opening up a location just off the square here in our historical little town and gave me something to look forward to.  If Cecil were alive he'd probably say I'm crazy but at least I'm not sitting at home now staring at the walls.
 
That brings me to shamefully plugging my and Nancy's store!  Pond Doc's Home & Garden is a unique shop to the Dahlonega business sector.  We specialize in koi pond and water garden supplies, just as we always have.  Now, however, we are encompassing the whole home and garden arena by adding product lines that appeal to almost all people, not just pond people.  We even have personalized gifts that are ordered and shipped directly to you or wherever you designate.  Ya'll come out to the store when you're in town.  If you can't make the trip you can still visit us online at  www.PondDoc.com for product and a whole slew of information on koi health, water quality, garden design, etc., etc., etc.   
 
I've decided to follow the store's lead and not limit my blog to just koi pond and water garden subjects, although I will be writing a lot on those topics.  This is my personal blog so I plan to enjoy it and talk about whatever subject I wish.  I have lots of ideas knocking around in this crazy head of mine!  In fact, I've already written my next blog that is titled, Clearing the Clutter.  You'll have to wait until tomorrow to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment